Bank holiday Mondays wouldn’t be the same without a little home-baking, don’t you think? We first tasted coconut and raspberry sponge at Cranachan (within Princes Square, Glasgow) and couldn’t resist whipping up our own version. We love everything about this recipe from the sticky jam topping to the soft warm sponge fresh from the oven. Bake this mouth-watering treat in just 45 minutes in 6 easy steps including cooking time then enjoy with a cup of tea – bliss!
PS - Curious about those delicate stacking rings? Shop our new collection, Flora and Fauna, crafted exclusively in Britain. Using fine silver and oxidised black finishes, these little beauties are the perfect stackable accessory.
- 350g/12oz self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 350g/12oz unsalted butter
- 350g/12oz caster sugar
- 6 free-range eggs
- 200g/7oz desiccated coconut
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 350g/12oz raspberries
- 150g/5oz raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 360F
- Lightly grease and line a 30cm/12in shallow cake tin with baking parchment
- Save those arms and use an electric mixer to beat the flour, baking powder, butter, sugar, eggs, coconut and lime juice together in a bowl. Gently fold in the raspberries until they’re distributed evenly
- Pour the cake mix into the tin then bake for 25-30 minutes or until risen and golden-brown
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately spread the jam over the top
- Allow the cake to cool then and sprinkle with the desiccated coconut and place a few extra raspberries on top. Serve with cream or ice-cream. Voila!